Esteban 9 was unveiled on April 23, 2018.
The car won the first place at the Formula Sun Grand Prix 2018 and 2019, and the fourth position at the American Solar Challenge 2018.
Due to changes in FSGP and ASC regulations, the project had to meet new challenges. Among the amended regulations, there are:
- The surface of solar panels as decrease to 4m² instead of 6 m².
- 6 m² will be allowed during recharging periods (morning and evening).
- Any charging structure will have to be included in the car itself, which eliminates the use of solar trackers.
- The use of 4 wheels is now mandatory.
- The requirements for the pilot's position are more restrictive.
The biggest challenge was to reduce the surface area of the panels. Indeed, we had a smaller source of energy, but a similar consumption. We therefore had to optimize our aerodynamics as well as our electrical systems.